March 17 isn’t just St. Patrick’s Day — it’s also Patron Saints’ Day in Redlands.
On that day in 1828, twins Albert and Alfred Smiley were born in Maine. The resort owners headed west and came to Redlands in 1889, making their mark as philanthropists and the creators of Canyon Crest Park.
Redlands would be a different city today if not for the brothers, and the A.K. Smiley Public Library — named after Albert — is holding a special Patron Saints’ Day presentation on Sunday, March 17, from 3 to 4 p.m. in the library’s Assembly Room.
The program will be led by Director Emeritus Larry Burgess and Head of Special Collections Nathan Gonzales. It is free and open to the public, but reservations are recommended, and can be made by registering here. For more information, call the Heritage Room at 909-798-7632. The A.K. Smiley Public Library is at 125 W. Vine St., Redlands. —Catherine
Posted: March 13, 2019